“Skinny” Zucchini Casserole from giverecipe.com
I came across this recipe on pinterest today. Going by the picture I thought it would be low carb. I was disappointed to find out it was not. After reading the ingredients I realized this would make a great makeover recipe. Really only a few thing needs to be swapped out. I also think that adding some minced garlic and bacon bits to the zucchini will increase the overall flavor.
Here’s my makeover:
Zucchini Casserole (Low Carb Makeover)
3 and ½ cups grated zucchini
2 eggs, beaten
1 clove garlic, minced (or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
2 tablespoon bacon bits
4 tablespoons grated Parmesan, separated
S & P, to taste
2 tablespoons almond meal
3 tablespoons pork rinds (any flavor), crushed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prepare a 8×8 baking dish by spraying it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Wash the outside of the zucchini thoroughly before grating. Spread the grated zucchini out on a couple layers of paper towels. Cover with a couple more paper towels and press to remove the excess moisture. Set aside.
- To a bowl add the eggs, 1 tablespoon Parmesan, garlic, bacon bits and S&P. Whisk to combine. Stir in the zucchini, mixing well, then add the mixture to your prepared pan.
- In a separate bowl combine crushed pork rinds, almond meal and remaining parmesan cheese. Sprinkle this mixture over top of the zucchini.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for 15 minutes or until crust is golden.
Makes 9 servings
I hope you enjoy the low carb version of this dish.